Friday, August 28, 2009

New Changes

I went for a early morning bike ride today, 50 miles! It felt good to get out there and enjoy the fresh air. On my ride, I encountered lots of new things on the route.

A stretch of N.Park Victoria Dr between Calaveras Blvd and Jacklin Rd is being reconfigured for lane reduction. What that means is BIKE LANE! The initial markings in the pictures below show the lane clearly defined! Woohoo!

North Bound Park Victoria Drive

N.Park Victoria/Kennedy Drive Intersection

My ride was to hit Dumbarton Bridge, so up Warm Springs Blvd I went and made a left onto E. Warren Ave to find a new overpass that now joins W.Warren Ave on the other side of I-880.

E.Warren Ave and W.Warren Ave are now joined with this overpass.

Another new find was at Don Edwards Wildlife Refuge. Looks like the state had some funds committed to build a new visitor center.

Don Edwards Wildlife Refuge Visitor Center

As I continued on to the Dumbarton Bridge I practiced a bit of time trialing. At first, it was nerve racking, (resting the forearms on the top bar while gripping the inner brake handles), but after a few minutes I got comfortable with it. The MPH picked up considerably with the same pedal effort. Yesssss!

There seems to be some work going on at the bridge. Half of the bridge had a asphalt layer on the east side while the other half of the span was untouched.

Finished Side

Unfinished Side

Quite a few changes on this route that I haven't done in quite a while since I no longer commute to work by bike.

2 comments:

Jack Ibagbaga (also known as) Batillog said...

Was that a planned 50 miler? ring me up sometimes :) let's try thoe TT bikes. I heard there's a TTT coming up somewhere. Benecia or Vallejo. Maybe we can try that.

BobbyG said...

Jack, sounds like a plan. Let try it!