Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Product Review: Ultra GatorSkin

As of today, I have over 600 miles on a pair of Continental Ultra GatorSkin tires in 5 weeks. I have been using 700x23 size tires from different manufacturers, and this is the 1st time trying out a 700x25 tire size. I have used Continental tires in the past, Grand Prix, SuperSport clinchers & Sprinter tubulars. So this brand of tire is no stranger to me.

After making my commitment to commute, I knew I would be needing a good set of tires for the task. Continental came to mind after having used this brand in the past.

First impressions of this tire? Wow! What a smooth ride! I can't seem to get over on how smooth and comfortable these tires ride! On my commute, there are sections of road that just beat me up. The Contis just seem to soak up those bumps eagerly. It's hard to believe that the size change from 700x23s to 700x25s could make such a difference. Running over debris on the road is still nerve racking, but the Contis just take the abuse with no complaints.

The tire size does have some drawbacks, mainly in the handling department. The front tire tracks well on hard turns, but the back seems to be a bit loose when pushed hard. I have not yet experienced these tires on wet conditions but I will update this review when or if I do.

The first day of use, I got two flats on the rear tire, once going to work and then again heading home. I blame myself for those flats for not using a brand new tubes with the tires. The original tubes had two or more patches on them already and they leaked where the patch was. Since I replaced them with new tubes, its been no longer an issue.

The tires are constructed with a wire bead on all available tire size offered. If a foldable tire is desired, only the 700x23 size is available.

Specs:
Tire: Ultra GatorSkin
Size: 700x25C
Color: Black/Black
Weight: 300g
Recommended Inflation: 95 psi
Max Inflation: 120 psi

No comments: